When it comes to smoking, there’s so much involved just in the process of it all that one tends to forget about what happens after you’re done smoking! Especially with weed. There’s so much to select and choose from. You need to pick just the right type of weed that you want to smoke, the paper or the blunt that you are going to roll it in, the place where you are going to store it, etc. However, you also need to take care that after you’re done smoking, you need to clear the air as well. This is where this article helps you! We have sampled and reviewed some of the best air purifiers for smoke – while it will primarily help you with weed smoke, it also acts as an air purifier for cigar and cigarette smoke!
You need to get rid of the smoke that gets left behind because of multiple reasons. First off, the smoke contains toxins and pollutants which you don’t want inside your home anyway! They cause a number of breathing-related problems over the long term. Moreover, weed and cigarette smoke leaves behind an unpleasant odor too, which many people might not like. Clearing the air after you’re done might be a challenging task, but air purifiers help make it easy.
Another reason to get rid of the weed smoke is due to the stigma that is attached with it. While smoking weed has now become legal in several states, be it for medicinal or for recreational use, people still tend to look down upon at it! Furthermore, weed smoke tends to catch on to the furniture and clothes and the odor tends to linger around for a long time. Getting an air purifier is a quick solution to getting rid of that smell which is a give-away of you having been smoking up!
Over the course of this article, we will take a closer look at some of the best air purifiers for smoke available to buy online. We will also take a look at what constitutes a good air purifier, the need for an air purifier – as well as some general FAQs about weed smoke and some tips of getting rid of the smell!
Why Do You Need An Air Purifier?
Before we get into the details of what some of the best air purifiers are and how they function, etc, let us first take a closer look at the need for having an air purifier:
When you smoke a joint, or even a cigarette, small particles tend to break off from the burnt end and tend to float all around the air. These particles of ash then settle on various objects around your house such as your clothes and your furniture. Worse still, the smallest of them remain in the air and are ultimately breathed-in by people around you (or you!). These are toxins and can cause lung damage over the long term. These particles need to be gotten rid of.
Hence, the need for an air purifier. This is the basic health-related reason as to why one needs to have it! The other reason, of course, is to get rid of the odor and the smoke from your room before you are either ‘caught’ smoking weed by someone you don’t want to be caught by! Given that weed is still seen as a taboo in most places across the world, having an air purifier is indeed something that would be of great benefit to stoners!
In addition to your smoking needs, an air purifier is also great to have if you have allergies. It helps keep indoor allergens away and even helps with pet-related allergies or chemical sensitivities. Furthermore, it is also great for people who have asthma as it helps provide them with a clean and fresh air.
Types of Air Purifiers
There are a number of different types of air purifiers which one needs to purchase based on their needs. While in this article, we will focus on air purifiers for weed smoke, it is still essential to know the different kind of air purifiers which are available in the markets.
Air Purifiers with Basic or HEPA Filters
These are the most common and the most basic types of air purifier filters that are around in the markets. HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air. This filter can be made of basically any particle-trapping material. Usually, we see a HEPA filter being made out of foam, fiberglass, or cotton. The functionality is also quite simple – the air passes through the filter which filters out the particles while allowing the clean air to pass through. This kind of a filter requires to be changed every few months. A number of weed smokers who have minimal requirements tend to use air purifiers with basic/HEPA filters.
Ionizers and Ozone Generators
While Ionizers and Ozone generators are two different kinds of air purifier filters, they have a similar way of functionality. Both these filters tend to create molecules with a charge – ions in the case of the former and ozone in case of the latter. The basic idea is – that the particles that flow in the air have a neutral charge. Hence, when they come closer to these charged filters, they get trapped. Basically, these filters ensure that when the particles enter the room they get attached to the surface around the room and do not flow in the air itself! A number of weed smokers tend to go with air purifiers that have ionized or ozone generating filters.
Air Purifiers with Electrostatic Filters
Another popular filter in air purifiers used by weed smokers is the electrostatic filter. These filters also work in a similar manner to the ionizers or ozone generators – but the biggest difference being that the particles actually pass through the filter and are then collected within the air purifier itself. These plates can then be removed, washed and reused!
Air Purifiers with Activated Carbon Filters
This is a great choice for those looking for the best air purifiers for smoke – particularly for cigarette, cigar and weed smoke! Weed smokers know that the smell of weed is distinct and it is one of the biggest ‘tells’ that they have been smoking up. Everyone wants to get rid of this smell so that people don’t suspect that they are smoking weed. Air purifiers with active carbon filters are among the best for those who want to clear the air of all the odor and gases! Moreover, it also traps some big particles but is largely meant for smell.
Air Purifiers with UV Lights
These air purifiers are used by weed smokers but also by a number of other people, especially those who want to keep the air germ-free! Air purifiers with Ultra Violet light filters can take care of microbes as well as some viruses and are great for cleaning the air.
Now that you know about the different types of air purifiers that there are – let us take a closer look at what some of the best air purifiers for weed smokers are:
Best Air Purifiers For Smoke and Weed in 2019
Here’s a list of the best air purifiers preferred by those who like to smoke up (or just smoke!). Not only do they clear the air off the smell of weed, but they also ensure that the air is purified for a better home AQI. Here’s the list:
1. Coway AirMega 400 Air Purifier
- Air mega is designed to accommodate room sizes up to 1,560 square feet and it cleans the air two times in one-hour.
- Air mega Max2 filter - combined activated carbon and True HEPA filter - captures and reduces up to 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns in the air, including pollen,...
Air Mega from Coway is one of the best air purifiers if you are looking forward to eliminate weed smoke and the smell of weed from your room! There are a number of other health benefits that it also offers. The device can clean the air up to 1560 sq ft of area around it and comes in a black and a white color variant. This air purifier clears the air two times in an hour and it offers a mix of two kinds of filters – the basic HEPA filters, as well as activated carbon filters.
This gives you a double benefit. The Coway AirMega 400 can not only get rid of the smell of weed smoke from the air, thanks to its activated carbon filters, but it can also get rid of the dangerous particles in air which can damage your lungs and affect your breathing. Furthermore, it also ensures that the dangerous particles that come out of the smoke from your joint are also cleared off! It comes with five fan modes and is almost silent when you run it at a lower level. Moreover, it has a ‘smart mode’ which automatically adjusts the speed of the fan based on the air quality.
The air purifier comes with a real-time air quality sensor which informs you about how clean the air in your room is. While it comes with the two main filters inside, it also comes with a large, easy-to-clean filter that traps larger particles and dust, hair and fur which can often be quite irritating to have around. It consumes 66W of power and has a noise level between 22-52 decibels.
- Good looking device and well-built – can last you for years.
- Not too noisy
- Comes with a ‘smart’ mode which automatically adjusts the fan speed
- Changing the filter can be a costly affair!
2. Rabbit Air MinusA2 HEPA Air Purifier
- Advanced HEPA filtration with six stages of purification and deodorization
- Connect to your WiFi network and control from anywhere with the Rabbit Air App
Those looking forward to buying a stable and good air purifier, particularly for weed smoke should consider taking a good look at the Rabbit Air MinusA2 HEPA Air Purifier. As the name indicates, this air purifier uses a basic HEPA air filter, which ensures that your air is cleaned off all the tiny particles that tend to deteriorate the air quality of your room.
Furthermore, there is another great feature that this air purifier offers – especially for weed smokers: it ensures that the air remains odorless and that no smell remains! Weed smokers are always worried that they might get caught due to the smell that remains around. However, the Rabbit Air MinusA2 air purifier takes good care of that. Another great feature of this air purifier is the fact that you can use your smartphone to control it! You can connect it to the WiFi network and control it using your smartphone. This is one of the best air purifiers for smoke – as it traps all sorts of foul smells coming from pets, cigarettes, joints or cigars.
The device can stand on the ground on its own or can even be mounted on a wall. It is a good looking air purifier and has a very modern design style. Another great feature of this air purifier is the fact that it is very quiet compared to many other noisy air purifiers in the markets! The fan in this air purifier runs on a BLDC Motor which can be operated at five speeds and creates a sound ranging between 20.8 to 51.4 dBA. The filters here are also really long lasting as they can last 2 years if you run the air purifier for 12 hours every day.
- The noise levels are really low!
- Great design
- Among the best air purifiers for an odorless air
- Some settings get reset if you lose power
3. Alen BreathSmart Air Purifier
- BIG ROOMS? NO BIG DEAL ~ Developed from the minds (and smarts) of NASA airflow engineers, the BreatheSmart Classic cleans 1100 SqFt every 30 minutes. Capable of...
- RECOMMENDED FOR ~ Allergies, Dust, Chemicals, Smoke and Cooking Odor. Packed with 2. 7 lbs of activated carbon, the HEPA-FreshPlus filter absorbs a wide variety...
A great choice for those who want to remove the smoke and odor from the air around them, Alen’s BreathSmart Classic is an Air Purifier for smoke that many cigarette and weed smokers prefer to use. This air purifier comes with an ozone-free ionizer which creates a negative ion charge that traps all the particles and comes equipped with HEPA odorcell filters which help ensure that all the smoke and odors around you are trapped in it. The Alan BreathSmart Classic comes with three layers of HEPA filters which can trap larger particles like fur and hair, as well as dust, pollens and other allergens, and even odors which are then destroyed at a molecular level!
This is especially recommended for those who want an air purifier for a larger room as this covers about 1100 sq. ft and it purifies the area in every 30 minutes. It has also been designed with a ‘WhisperMax’ technology that ensures that the air purifier does not cause a lot of noise. Furthermore, this is the air purifier for those with a sense of style and aesthetics as it allows you to customize the panels and you can choose the design that will blend with your room in the best manner.
The display panel on this air purifier is also pretty simple and it gives you all the details there itself. It comes with a ‘smart mode’ which automatically adjusts the speed of the fan depending on the air quality. On the back side, this air purifier comes with a handle which ensures that you can easily lift it and place it wherever you want.
- Great air purifier for cigarette smoke and weed smoke
- Covers a large 1100 sq. ft. area
- Blends in with the room pretty well
- Filters are expensive to replace
- Slightly louder compared to some other air purifiers (not too much though)
4. Honeywell HEPA Allergen Remover
- EXTRA LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER: Recommended for extra large rooms (465 square feet) this True HEPA Allergen Remover Air Purifier helps capture up to 99.97...
- TURBO CLEAN: With 3 air cleaning levels plus a Turbo Clean setting, this air purifier helps remove particles like pet dander, pollen, dust, mold & smoke; It...
Honeywell is among the most trusted brand names when it comes to air purifiers. Preferred as one of the best air purifiers for smoke for weed smokers as well as cigarette smokers alike, Honeywell’s True HEPA is a great air purifier for those who want to get rid of the smell of tobacco (or weed) from their room! The air purifier comes with the capacity to remove tobacco smoke up to 0.01 to 4 microns and is also a great choice to get rid of the odors.
In addition to the smoke and the odors, this air purifier can also get rid of pollen, mold spores, pet dander, household dust, as well as certain amounts of bacteria and viruses. It can easily capture the dangerous PM 2.5 particles which are the primary pollutant in air. Talking about the filters, it comes with a HEPA filter, which the name suggests, along with an activated carbon filter too – which helps it clear the air off the odor and the smoke. It also comes with indicator lights which lets you know how good the filters are, how good the air is and other important details related to your air purifier.
The filters that it comes with are also easy to maintain and easy to replace. The pre-filter A needs to be replaced every three months while the HEPA filter needs to be replaced on a yearly basis. This is a good air purifier for an average-sized room, as it can clear air up to 465 sq. ft. It comes with three levels of cleaning the air as well as a ‘turbo mode’. This is not only a great air purifier for those who want to get rid of smoke and odor but also for those who want to ensure that there are no pollens or allergens in the air, and that pet fur and general dust does not lie around. This Honeywell air purifier ensures that the air around you is cleaned as many as five times an hour – which is a major plus compared to most other air purifiers.
- Cleans the air 5 times every hour
- Great air flow, even from the top
- Gets rid of smoke and odor pretty well
- Quite loud, especially at speeds 3 and Turbo
5. Levoit LV-pur131
- 100% OZONE FREE: Unlike some other brands, Levoit air purifiers are always 100% ozone-free, never using the UV-C light and anion purification methods that cause...
- HIGHER EFFICIENCY FOR LARGE ROOM: With Honeycomb activated carbon filter, True HEPA filter, Pre-filter, the purify efficiency is 30% higher and purify speed is...
For anyone looking forward to purify their air off smoke and foul smells, especially ones that persist such as those left by cigarettes and weed joints, the Levoit LV-pur131 is a great air purifier that they must consider to buy!
This air purifier comes with three kinds of filters – the first of them is a ‘pre filter’ which ensures larger particles and elements such as hair, pet fur, etc. are trapped in it. Then there’s the honeycomb activated carbon filter, which ensures that all the smoke and the odors are trapped in it – and finally there’s a basic HEPA filter, which traps the smaller particles and pollutants, thereby making your room entirely free of particles that might damage your health and from foul odors of weed and cigarette smoke which might give you away!
This air purifier is a great pick for those looking forward to get one for a medium to large room. However, this is not a pick for those who want it for very large areas. It can easily cover up to 360 sq ft and even goes a little beyond that. There are three fan speeds in this air purifier and it also comes with an auto mode which determines what the condition of your room is right now and at what mode the fans need to operate. Once the air becomes purer, it automatically decreases the fan speed, ensuring an optimum electricity consumption.
The company claims that their air purifier is ‘as quiet as rustling leaves’. This is a great plus for it as a number of great air purifiers tend to be loud and people do not prefer buying them because of this reason. It creates an average noise level of 27dB and allows for a peaceful environment. Interestingly, while it has a LED display panel, you can even turn it off so that the light does not distract you at night!
- Good air flow
- Comes with a sleep mode which ensures minimal noise
- Comes with an auto-shut timer
- Filters are not too expensive to replace
- A little bulky to look at
- The angle of the air flow is a little awkward at 45 degrees
6. Coway AP-1512 Air Purifier
- Coway Mighty (AP-1512HH) is designed to accommodate room sizes up to 361 sq.ft (CADR: Dust 246 / Pollen 240 / Smoke 233 cb. ft.).
- 4 Stage Filtration System (Pre-filter, Deodorization filter, True HEPA filter, Vital Ion) captures and reduces up to 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns in the air,...
Here comes another great air purifier from Coway. The previous one in the list was the AirMega 400 which is a great choice for those looking for air purifiers for smoke. This one, too, is a great option but for those looking at an air purifier for small rooms. If you are a weed smoker who likes to smoke up in their smaller-sized den, this is a great option for you! The Coway AP-1512 allows you to cover about 361 sq. ft. as opposed to the AirMega 400 which allows up to 1560 sq. ft. making this one a great choice for those looking for air purifiers for smoke and weed smoke for a small room.
Interestingly, this one comes with a four-filter system which offers a pre-filter, a deodorization filter, a true-HEPA filter and a Vital Ion. Thanks to this multi filter system this air purifier from Coway ensures that all particles, as small as 0.3 microns are trapped in the filters and the air remains clean and odor-free! This is a great air purifier especially if you are a weed smoker always worried about getting the smell out of your room after you’re done smoking up.
Offering three fan speeds, this air purifier allows you to set it in an auto mode as well, where based on the indoor air quality (IAQ) your fan speeds will automatically be increased or decreased! It provides a constant update on the IAQ as well, letting you know how clean or bad the air in your room is! The vital ion system that this air purifier comes with creates a charge in the air that ensures that pollutants are reduced. When no pollution is detected for 30 minutes, the fan will automatically stop and the air purifier will reach the ‘Eco Mode’ which aims at conserving electricity. It also comes with a timer mode where you can set it to run for 1/4/8 hours and then automatically shut down.
This air purifier consumes 77W of electricity and comes in two variants – black and white. The white one is a little expensive compared to the black one but gives the same performance with a slightly different aesthetic.
- Not too expensive
- Comes with an energy-conserving Eco Mode
- Filters are not too expensive to replace
- Good size, weight and design
- Can’t turn off all the lights
- Not effective for large/very large rooms
7. Alen T500 HEPA Air Purifier
- PURE AIR FOR LIFE: We understand things happen, which is why Alen offers the industry's first and only Lifetime Warranty
- YOU'LL RECEIVE: 1 T500 Air Purifier, 1 HEPA-Fresh filter best for removing smoke, household chemicals, and cooking odors
While all the air purifiers so far look like they have pretty much the same form-factor, here comes a major twist in the tale! The Alen T500 is one of the best air purifiers for weed smokers which helps them get rid off the pungent smell of weed which tends to linger around in the room, as well as the smoke that gathers after a long session of puff-puff-pass! The Alen T500 HEPA air purifier, as the name suggests, relies mainly on the HEPA filters and is great when it comes to purifying the air in your room.
The tower-shaped design makes it compact as well as good-looking! It is something that you can place anywhere in your room and it will instantly blend with everything around it. The air purifier is great for rooms up to almost 500 sq. ft. which makes it a great choice for those looking forward to buy one for medium to large sized rooms! It also allows you to ionize the air which helps reducing the pollution in your room! All the control buttons are on the top of the air purifier. This tower-shaped device is 22 inches in height (a little less than 2ft).
This is a great choice for those who are short on space or don’t really want a bulky looking air purifier in their room! A perfect choice for bedrooms where you can keep it on a corner allowing it to silently purify the air around you! And when we say ‘silently’ we really mean silently, because this is one of the quietest air purifiers possible and even at the maximum speed that it runs at, it doesn’t create much noise. Noise is one of the biggest complaints that air purifier users tend to raise and this one doesn’t have that at all!
- Sleek design, looks really great in the tower-styled form factor
- Decent air flow for a medium-sized room
- Great for eliminating smoke and odor related to cigarettes and weed
- Filters are a little expensive to replace
8. Germ Guardian 3-in-1 HEPA Air Purifier
- 3 IN 1 AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME : True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97 percent of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as...
- KILLS GERMS : UV C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
If you are looking for a tower-shaped air purifier and are not content with what you saw above in the Alen T500, you might also want to take a closer look a tthe Germ Guardian HEPA Air Purifier. This is one of the best Air Purifiers available in the markets for those looking to get rid of smoke smells, especially coming from cigarette smoke and weed smoke. This is a ‘3-in-1’ air purifier which deals with germs, molds and odors! As the name mentions, it functions on the HEPA filters. It also comes with ultraviolet light which helps it fight against germs in the air!
Given the fact that it offers ultraviolet light, it is a great choice for those looking forward to get an air purifier which has a strong potency against germs and viruses. This is also a great option for those who are looking forward to buying an air purifier that would get rid of allergens such as pet fur and pollens from the air as it comes with a pre-filter which traps certain larger particles that might bother people otherwise. The activated charcoal filter is great for trapping smells and odors, making it a great pick for those looking forward to eliminate the lingering odors of cigarettes and weed!
This is a 22-inch tall air purifier, the same height as Alen T500. However, one major concern here is that this air purifier is best suited only for small to medium sized rooms as it covers an optimal area of 150 sq. ft. The filters in this air purifier need to be replaced every 6 to 8 months while the UV C bulb needs to be replaced on a yearly basis. The Germ Guardian comes with a three-mode fan and operates very, very silently! It is also a good looking device and blends well with most rooms!
- Strong protection against germs
- Easy operation
- Great against odor and smoke
- Replacing filters and the UV bulb can be a costly affair
9. Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier
- 3-PART FILTRATION system captures 99% of common airborne PM 2.5 pollutants such as allergens, odors, smoke , mold spores, dust mites and pet dander
- ACTIVATED CARBON filter removes common odors caused by smoke, pets, cooking, dorm room smells and gases (VOCs) as well as smoke caused by wildfires.
Last but not the least! The Blue Pure 411 is the best air purifier for small sized rooms! It offers just the perfect solution that anyone living in a small room would need, especially for those who prefer smoking weed and cigarettes and want to get rid of the smell that these things leave behind. It operates in about 161 sq.ft. of radius and is a good and modern looking device. It is a tower-like structure but more rounded in shape and comes in a number of color options!
In addition to this, the Blue Pure 411 air purifier is also one of the quietest air purifiers you will come across! It is really quiet and creates sounds as little as 17 dB and at most goes up to 46 dB. It comes with activated carbon filters which helps it trap foul smells and smoke which makes it one of the best air purifiers for smoke removal, preferred by cigarette and weed smokers. It also has a very modern design which is always a great plus!
- Great design, blends in well with most rooms
- Removes odors like a pro!
- Very silent
- Covers a very small area
Things You Need to Consider Before You Buy an Air Purifier
Now that you know which are some of the best air purifiers that you can choose for your room – let us take a closer look at some of the things that you need to consider before you buy an air purifier!
- YOUR Need: The first and foremost thing that you need to understand is that when you are buying an air purifier, you are looking at a specific need of yours! Do you want the air to be free of allergens such as pollens and fur? Or do you want it just because the pollution levels in your city are rising? Many people also specifically look for air purifiers for smoke and specially weed smoke! Hence, based on your need you need to look at an air purifier which solves the particular problem that you are facing.
- Type of Filter: In this article, we have explained the different kinds of filters ranging from the very basic HEPA and activated carbon filters to the Ultraviolet filters. Based on your need you need to decide which kind of filter is best suited for your room! For instance if you need to get rid of the odor you need to ensure that your air purifier has an activated carbon filter in it!
- Size and Weight: The size and the weight of the air purifier also matters a lot! Many people these days are specifically looking for a sleek looking air purifier which can blend in well with the furniture in their rooms. Bulky looking devices are usually hard to move around and are not preferred by buyers these days!
- Room Size: The decision to buy an air purifier is also influenced by the room size. You should not buy a 1500 sq. ft. air flow capacity air purifier for a room that is 500 sq. ft. in size and the reverse of that is totally not recommended. Hence, the bigger your room size, the more you need to ensure that the air purifier can match the needs!
- Operating Cost: Operating cost basically refers to two things – the electricity consumption and the cost of changing the filters! Filters which collect the pollutants need to be changed every year or two years depending upon what is recommended by the manufacturer. Hence, one needs to ensure that the air purifier that they are buying offers a low operating cost! The electricity consumption should not be too high while the cost of getting new filters should also be affordable enough!
- Noise Levels: One of the biggest problems that many people tend to have with air purifiers is that theirs is too noisy! Hence, before you buy an air purifier always check the reviews to see if the one you are looking at is noisy! An optimal air purifier will produce noise less than about 60 dB at the upper limit. Ensure that you get a silent air purifier.
- Ozone: Some air purifiers also release ozone into the air in order to trap polluting particles. However, some users have health-related concerns with breathing in air that carries ozone. Hence you need to check before buying if your air purifier releases ozone molecules into your room.
- Price: Last but certainly not the least, price always plays a major role in any buying decision. While most good air purifiers are a little on the expensive side – that is a little cost for your health! Getting the room clear of all pollutants is important and one must ensure that their indoor air quality is good at all times. However, the price factor always comes into the picture and it is something people usually keep in mind before making a final purchase.
Now that you know which the best air purifiers for smoke are, you can make a good buying decision based out of these reviews. Remember, the smoke that lingers around tends to be dangerous for your health, as well as is a major ‘tell’ and can get you caught by someone you want to hide your weed or cigarette smoking habits from! Getting an air purifier is not only a great decision to get rid of the smoke but something that will also improve your quality of life. We strongly recommend you to get one today and to breathe in an optimal air!