Growing marijuana can be quite an easy task if you are sure of exactly what you are doing! Many growers, especially first-timers, tend to be clueless and are often confused as to how to proceed. While they get their grow lights, nutrients, grow tents and all the other basic elements needed for growing weed, one thing that they often forget is to get hold of climate controllers for their grow tents. Climate controllers are essentially devices that can heat or cool your grow tent (some do both in one device, otherwise you need two different devices) – i.e. heaters and air conditioners.
Over the course of this article, we shall be taking a closer look at some of the best climate controllers for grow tents. However, before that, we shall try and understand the importance of heat in a grow tent as well as the importance of cooling – two major forces which determine a lot about your growing operation. By the end of this article, we hope that you will be able to make a well-informed decision about which climate controller should you be purchasing for your grow tents and your grow rooms!
Climate Control: Heating and Cooling a Grow Tent
If you are growing your marijuana in a place where temperatures tend to be too high, you would need air conditioners to cool it down. If you are growing it in a place where temperatures are too low, you would need a heater to warm up your setup! Here’s a detailed look at the importance of heat and cooling in a grow tent:
Importance of Heat in a Grow Tent
- Heat is important for the growth of plants because it ensures that all the chemicals are released well and that the process of photosynthesis happens properly. Heat is also great for the production of chlorophyll and a warm environment also means that there would be enough humidity present in the air which is great for the growth of the plants. Using a heater is helpful because it will ensure that your plants stay warm even in the coldest of weathers.
Importance of Cooling a Grow Tent
- Cooling is important because there are a lot of elements in and around your grow tent which emit a lot of heat. These include heaters, grow lights, dehumidifiers, CO2 burners and other similar devices. In addition to that, there are a lot of places where temperatures are naturally high and when you add these elements which release heat, the grow tents can get really hot and damage the plants. Hence, you need air conditioners to cool down a grow tent!
The Best Climate Controllers for Grow Tents: Best Heaters for Grow Tents
- Ideal for tabletop or floor use with easy to use top-mounted controls
- Adjustable thermostat
Portable heaters are great for those looking forward to using them inside grow tents because they can be easily picked up and moved around. This one comes from Lasko, but all three heaters in our list are portable in nature. Lasko’s 5409 is one of the best climate controllers you can get for a grow tent and is a great companion for cold weathers. To begin with, the design aspect here is pretty neat and the heater comes with a handle which does not get hot so you can pick it up and move it around with ease.
The controls of this heater are located on top so it is quite easy to use. There’s an adjustable thermostat built-in which gives you just the right climate control for your grow tent. You can set it in a way that is best for the growth of your plants without risking either overheating or heating the grow tent so less that plants remain cold. There are three settings on this portable heater from Lasko – a fan mode, a low heat mode and a high heat mode, which you can adjust based on what the temperature outside is. Another great feature of this portable heater for grow tents is that you can set up oscillations and the device will rotate and circulate heat all across the grow tent ensuring all your plants are covered well.
You can also use this beyond the grow tents – in your bedrooms or kitchens as well as it is convenient enough to be carried around and easy to operate. The heater comes with a number of safety mechanisms too and it ensures that there is no overheating and that neither the plants nor the device itself gets damaged.
- Perfect for grow tents or small rooms
- Great design, easy to use and safe to operate
- Thermostat is a big plus
- Oscillates and spreads heat all over the room/tent
- Some growers find it a little too noisy for their preference.
- Lower energy bills By heating only the room you're in, you can lower your thermostat and lower your energy bills.
- No assembly required Only De'Longhi has patented SmartSnap pre-assembled wheels that require no assembly and make it easy to move from room to room.
This is a 1500W portable heater from DeLonghi, which is a great pick for growers who are looking forward to buying some of the best climate controllers for their grow tents. This heater is one of the highest-rated heaters on Amazon and provides the growers with a good heating while ensuring it does not consume too much electricity. The heater does not require any assembly and is ready to use right off the packaging. This heater is pretty safe to use as well, as it comes with an auto-shut off feature in case of an overheating event.
DeLonghi’s ComfortTemp technology is another major thing that comes into the picture here. You can set the optimal temperature for your grow tent and then the heater is smart enough to take things forward from there and it will ensure that a temperature is maintained. It is an oil-filled radiator heater, but you don’t have to worry about maintenance as well, because the oil system is permanently sealed and you don’t have to worry about refilling it. Furthermore, there’s a three-year warranty on the heater, which is a great plus.
The heater comes with a thermostat and two switches, based on which you can set up the kind of temperature you want and adjust the settings to suit your needs. It is a great heater to heat up small to medium sized grow tents and can even be used in rooms for personal heating purposes. Design-wise too, it is a very modern device and can go with almost any sort of furniture so that’s another plus right there!
- Easy to use, long warranty period
- Comes with a thermostat and offers multiple settings
- Safe to use, comes with overheating protection
- Good for a medium-sized room or a large grow tent
- Some users have reported of oil leaks
- Energy Efficient Heat: The Honeywell HeatBud Ceramic Personal Heater Is a 250 Watt Energy Efficient Solution That Provides Just the Right Amount of Heat for...
- Easy to Use; Designed with ceramic technology that provides fast, even heating, this energy efficient heater uses only 250 watts. It features 2 heat settings,...
Honeywell is among the biggest, best and the most trusted of names when it comes to household devices. Growers who are looking forward to buying a heater as a means of climate controllers for their grow tents should look no further than this! The first thing that you would notice here is the excellence of the design quality. Honeywell’s products are well built and this one is no exception. This is a great heater from the company which is also a good-looking product. This is a truly portable heater which is just a 250 Watt device.
There are just two heat settings – as well as a simple, one-button control for the whole setup. In addition to that, growers can also get a lot of safety features. These safety features are essentially protection against the heater tipping over, a cool-touch setup where the heater’s exterior won’t be hot to touch and can be moved around with ease, as well as a protection against overheating. This heater provides great warmth, as is promised by their tagline ‘warms you, not the room’.
Another great thing about this heater from Honeywell is the fact that it is just 6.5 inches in height and a little less than 6 inches in width, allowing growers to place it inside grow tents with ease. This is small and can be kept not only in grow tents, but also on table-tops, kitchen counters and other small places where you might need safe access to warmth.
- Honeywell is a great brand
- The heater is just the right size for keeping in small places
- There are a large number of safety features
- Energy-efficient, does not consume a lot of power
- Some growers point out that it does not provide ‘instant warming’.
Recommended: Best Grow Tent Fans in 2020
The Best Climate Controllers for Grow Tents: Best Air Conditioners for Grow Tents
Climate controllers comprise of not just heaters, but air conditioners as well. Growers need to know which some of the best portable air conditioners are for their grow tents and grow rooms. Here’s a look at some of them:
- [POWERFUL, SAFE & DEPENDABLE] Cools rooms up to 350-450 sq. ft. Thermal Overload protection for added safety & peace of mind.
- [EASY INSTALL & MAINTENANCE] Washable Filter designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. Filter cleans easily under a faucet for...
Another product from Honeywell on our list of the best climate controllers for grow tents, this time an air conditioner! This is a portable air conditioner from Honeywell, and it offers the growers with just what they need – a great cooling experience for their grow rooms and grow tents. This is a good looking air conditioner as well as a good performing air conditioner and can easily last you for years without any problem. Honeywell as a brand, too, is quite an impressive performer and holds a lot of credibility in the markets.
This is a great air conditioner for small grow rooms as well as regular rooms up to 350sq.ft. It is simple to use and easy to install, making it a great pick for first-time growers as well. The filter in this air conditioner is washable and allows the growers to easily clean it up while offering protection from dust and hair. There are three fan speeds, which you can set depending on what kind of weather it is out there. In addition to that, this AC also doubles up as a dehumidifier, as well as has a regular fan mode.
The cooling that it provides is upto 1000 BTU, which is great considering it is a portable air conditioner. This is one of the best climate controllers for grow tents as it can be moved around with ease, thanks to the wheels at the bottom. This portable AC dispenses air from the top and has a quiet operation as well, operating at an average sound of 53 dbA.
- Durable product, can last for years without problems
- Honeywell is a trusted and highly credible brand
- Good for almost 350sqft+ sized areas
- Doubles up as a dehumidifier, which is great for growers growing marijuana.
- Too big for most grow tents
While Honeywell is a huge brand name when it comes to consumer durables, LG is perhaps even bigger than them because of the sheer scale they operate at! The Japanese giant also manufacturers some amazing portable air conditioners, and this one is just the perfect example for those who want to buy the best climate controllers for grow tents. This is the LG LP1417SHR, which operates at 115V, and offers the growers with a strong cooling experience that can cover as much as 400sq.ft. of area. The AC is pretty strong and cools upto 8000BTU. It comes with a 6ft long power cord and wheels on the bottom so it can be moved around and adjusted with ease.
This portable air conditioner from LG comes in two variants – one black and one white. It dispenses air from the top portion, and comes with a remote as well, which makes it quite easy to control. This AC from LG can cool not only your grow room, but also multiple rooms in your home because it operates at a much larger scale than a regular portable AC. Giving you a great multi-purpose benefit.
- Good for a large-scale setup
- Can be used as a regular house-cooling air conditioner
- Honeywell as a brand has quite some credibility
- Can cover upto 400sq ft
- Growers have complained that this portable AC causes a lot of noise
- Black + Decker
If you want to buy the best climate controllers for grow tents, this is one portable air conditioner that you’ve got to seriously consider! This AC from Black+Decker offers the growers with a great cooling experience that makes sure that their growing setup (grow tent and grow room) are cooled properly and that all the heat is dissipated. This is a 14000BTU air conditioner, where you also get a Vinyl Duct along with the AC. This is optimal for a room as large as 18 x 21. This air conditioner can provide heating as well as cooling and is a great option for growers who want an optimal climate control setting for their setup.
This is a four-in-one air conditioner which provides not just cooling, but heating, dehumidification, and fan as well. This is a heavy-duty machine which is great for growers who want to use it for their regular home setup for cooling their rooms as well as their grow rooms. There’s an LED digital display as well as a 24-hour on/off timer which the growers can make use of to automate their operations. All in all, this is a great climate controller for grow rooms as it can heat and cool, as well as dehumidify.
- Long lasting, very durable
- Four-in-one: provides heating, cooling, fan and dehumidification
- Comes with a programmable timer for easy operation
- Good for very large areas
- Some growers complain of the noise
- Some growers find it a little too big for their growing operation
Recommended: Best Portable Air Conditioners for Grow Rooms
To conclude, we must say that there is a strong need for getting hold of the best climate controllers for grow tents as they help ensure that optimal temperatures are maintained and that the plants will not get damaged due to excess heat or excess cold. Climate controllers are best suited when you get heating and cooling in the same device such as the black+decker machine in our list. However, even getting two seperate devices won’t hurt, especially if you are living in an area where temperatures tend to be extreme. If you want to know more about any of these elements or think that we have missed out on something, do let us know in the comments below or drop us an email about the same! Till then…
Happy Growing! 🙂
Table of Contents