Growing marijuana is something that can be done in many different ways. However, while we broadly classify it under ‘indoor’ and ‘outdoor’ methods of growth when it comes to traditional systems, the indoor method of growth also has something called the ‘hydroponic’ method of growing marijuana. One of the best ways to grow your weed indoors is with the help of these hydroponic methods, which involve the use of a hydroponic garden kit.
Over the course of this article, we will take a closer look at the best indoor hydroponic garden kits in 2020 that you can buy off the internet right now and begin growing your marijuana. However, before we proceed into the details of hydroponic garden kits, we will take a closer look at what hydroponics is and what its advantages and disadvantages are. We shall then take a look at the best indoor hydroponic garden kits, followed by a look at the factors that you must consider before you choose an indoor kit for yourself.
Let us now take a detailed look:
What is Hydroponics?
This is the first basic question that you need to ask yourself before you head into looking for the best hydroponic garden kits for growing weed. Hydroponics is basically a way of growing plants without the use of soil! Strange as it may sound, this is quite true and has been something which a number of innovative farmers have been practicing rather effectively and using to their benefit!
While you do not need to use soil in this hydroponic growth technique, you still need water, nutrients and a growing medium. Water is one of the biggest factors in this method of growth. When you split the word into its roots, hydroponics comes from ‘hydros’ which means water and ‘ponos’ which means labour. Basically, this is a water-intensive method of growing plants. However, while there is no soil, there still is a ‘growing medium’ such as coconut coir, vermiculture or perlite to name a few. In this medium, you provide the nutrients mixed with water directly on to the roots rather than providing it to the soil via which the roots absorb it in a traditional medium.
While hydroponics is being seen as a ‘modern’ innovation when it comes to growing marijuana, using this technique to grow plants has been around for a really long time – so long that it was a part of the ancient ‘hanging gardens’ of Babylon. Even the Aztecs used the technique in the 10th century. Over the course of this article, however, we will focus solely on the use of hydroponic systems to grow marijuana. While it sounds rather complex and tough, it is as simple as setting up the growing medium in a pot and planting the weed in it.
Benefits and Disadvantages of using Hydroponic Systems of Growth
When you look at the advantages, using a hydroponic system of growth is great for the plant’s growth rate. It has been observed that when nutrients are directly provided on to the roots and this soil-less method of growth has been used, plants grow up to 20% faster and even the yield that they get is 25% increased. Moreover, since it does not require soil, it can help you grow weed even in places where soil isn’t favourable enough to grow plants in. Furthermore, you can grow more weed while making use of a lesser surface area!
In addition to this, when you say that this is a water-oriented technique, what you may need to know is that more water is saved in hydroponic growth compared to the traditional growth. Plus, the water that you use in the system can be recycled and reused again for the same process, which is another major benefit of a hydroponic garden kit. Since most pests and plant diseases come via the soil, you will also be using a lot less insecticides and pesticides.
When you look at the disadvantages, the hydroponic garden kits in 2020 are all getting quite expensive. Getting a good hydroponic garden kit means you have to shell out a decent amount of money. Then, while you reduce the risk of plant diseases that come via the soil, you risk your plants getting infected by waterborne diseases, which spread faster than those that come from soil!
Best Indoor Hydroponic Garden Kits in 2020 – Reviews
Let us now take a closer look at what options we have when it comes to the best indoor hydroponic garden kits in 2020. These are all available on Amazon and are among the best options that you can get for yourself if you plant to grow weed using hydroponics.
1. AeroGarden Sprout LED
- INCLUDES GOURMET HERB SEED KIT (3-POD) - Genovese Basil, Curly Parsley, and Dill & a 3oz bottle of our patented, all natural Plant Nutrients (enough for a full...
- PLANT TO PLATE - Up to 3 plants can be grown at a time, up to 10" tall, Plants grow in water, not soil ; An advanced indoor garden made simple
Definitely the cheapest option for those wishing to start off on their hydroponic journey. This is a rather small-sized hydroponic garden kit and people usually prefer using multiple of these units. Each of these units has the size to grow three plants which can grow up to the height of 10 inches each. It also comes with a 3 POD gourmet herb kit, which features Genovese Basil, Curly Parsley and Dill. It also comes with a 3oz bottle of patented plant nutrients from AeroGarden.
The setup comes with a 10watt LED light attached on top, which is basically the grow light for the plants. What makes it one of the best indoor hydroponic garden kits in 2020 (especially for those looking for a cheap option) is that it comes with a control panel which reminds the growers about when they need to provide water and plant food to the plants. Moreover, the lights automatically turn on and off based on the need of the plants. The grow light attached on the plant is a full-spectrum light which ensures the plant gets all the proper wavelengths required for its growth and helps in the process of photosynthesis as well.
- Control panel tells you when you should provide water/nutrients
- Lights can turn on and off automatically
- Comes with gourmet herb seeds
- Very easy to use
- Cost effective
- Power outage can hamper the performance
- Users need to ensure the pump does not get clogged
2. Viagrow Complete Ebb & Flow Hydroponics System
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- The Kit includes: Flood & Drain Fitting Kit 50 Liter Bag Grow Rocks - ViaStone Viagrow 211 GPH Submersible Pump
This is an ebb and flow hydroponic system and is generally considered as one of the best indoor hydroponic garden kits in 2020. It comes with a 50 liter bag, grow rocks, a flood and drain fitting kit, and the viastone viagrow 211 GPH submersible pump. This hydroponic garden kit comes in four different sizes which can allow you to grow anywhere between 9 to 25 plants with ease. This is a great option, especially for beginners who are just trying out grow kits and are new in the world of hydroponic growth.
What growers need to know about this type of a grow kit is that this is a ‘window garden’ system and it does not come with a grow light attached on top of it. Those growers who might want to make use of a grow light on this system will need to purchase it separately. The nutrients are also not included with the system. The kit is fitted with 5.25 inches pots and has a reservoir beneath it. Flow circles in this system are controlled using a timer which will ensure that everything in this ebb and flow hydroponic system runs as desired.
- Quite easy to set up and beginner-friendly
- Has appropriate space for all the plants to grow properly and independently
- Comes with a programmable timer
- Durable setup
- The lack of nutrients and grow lights
3. DreamJoy 3 Layers 108 Plant Sites Hydroponic Site Grow Kit
- MAIN PARAMETER - 12 Pipes；3 Layers；108 Plant sites； Material: PVC-U. Pipe diameter: 6.3 cm (2.5 inch). Hole quantity: 54. Hole diameter: 3.2 cm (1.26...
- EASY TO USE - Very simple to assemble and use, perfect for beginners! This hydroponic station growth kit features a drain rod design that allows the user to...
A model that can be considered a hybrid between the classic ebb and flow system and a recirculating deep water culture system, the DreamJoy 3 is a rather large setup which has space for 108 plants across 3 levels. This setup is fitted with 12 PVC pipes that supply the 108 plants with enough water to facilitate fast and effective growth. Assembling the system is so easy that even someone who has never seen a hydroponic grow kit in their life can assemble it with ease. This is indeed one of the best hydroponic garden kits in 2020.
However, the grow kit does not come with grow lights and has to be kept under a sunlit area or under grow lights that you need to purchase separately. This can be placed indoors as well as outdoors and can provide great results. The idea behind this hybrid setup is not exactly to provide a fast growth to the plants but to provide appropriate levels of nutrition with the help of water circulation which it does very, very effectively. The system also facilitates recirculation of water, which is a really cool feature because it saves water. This is best suited for leafy vegetables and plants.
- Very durable, made of high-quality material
- Provides sufficient amount of water to your plants
- Recycles water and reduces wastage
- Beginner friendly and easy to set up
- Quite a big setup and occupies a lot of space
- Not suitable for all plant types (only for leafy ones)
- Does not come with grow lights
Factors to Consider Before You Buy Hydroponic Garden Kits in 2020
- The first and the most important thing that you need to consider before you buy yourself a hydroponic garden kit is that you need to know exactly what plant you are growing. Based on the different types of kits there are, you need to know which kit will be the best fit for your plant!
- Another major factor that needs to be analyzed before you buy a hydroponic garden kit in 2020 is that you need to take a close look at the exact amount of space you have. You need to measure it up and you need to calculate the size of the kit that you are buying. You must ensure that you buy a kit which fits well in your space and doesn’t occupy the whole area.
- While space is important, you also need to consider the desired size of the end product. How big your harvest is going to be is going to play a huge role in the choice that you make. The hydroponic garden kit that you buy must be big enough to contain the size of the harvest that you desire to obtain towards the end of the activity.
- Before you buy your hydroponic garden kit, you must also know exactly how much time will you be able to dedicate to it. There are different kinds of garden kits and each of them require different amount of attention. There are some in which you need to manually adjust things while others adjust the temperature and lighting, etc. automatically.
- Last but certainly not the least, another huge factor that needs to be considered is that of the cost of the whole setup. We strongly suggest that you set up a budget before you go looking for these systems and ensure you stick to the budget because hydroponics can sometimes be a very costly affair.
We hope this article helped you in understanding hydroponics better and understanding what the advantages and disadvantages of using a hydroponic method of growth are. Growing a plant without soil might sound like a crazy idea to the traditional growers but considering the benefits that it has when you look at the growth rate and the end product, it is quite a major consideration for many modern-day farmers. We hope this article also helped you in selecting the best indoor hydroponic garden kits in 2020 which will suit your need the best!
Happy Growing! 🙂